Saturday, December 8, 2012

Anyone for a 1950s Red?

I'm making it a main goal to offer as many variations of RED lipsticks as possible.  I have about six right now, but there is room for more!  I keep seeing articles and pictures about 1950s lipsticks, so how about another bright 1950s red?  We have 'Marilyn' and 'Elizabeth', but I think I should add a few more choices!

'Marilyn', similar to Revlon's 'Love That Red'




'Elizabeth', a bright carmine magenta.  Reminds me of Revlon's 'Cherries in the Snow'.




I'm browsing through some 1950s makeup advertisements for inspiration.  This is how I come up with a lot of my colors.  One of my most popular lipsticks, 'Paulette', was inspired by a 1940s advertisement for Chen Yu lipstick.  The mission of my company is to create cosmetics that are influenced by elegance of the past, so I always turn to classic films and old Revlon and Max Factor ads when I need some encouragement.

Probably one of the most iconic advertisements for 1950s makeup; Revlon's 'Fire and Ice'.  The model is Dorian Leigh.  This color was revived a couple years ago, and I'm thinking about using it as a guide.  From searching swatch photos on Google, it seems to be a bright red, mostly magenta, with some orange tones.




'Cherries in the Snow'.  A favorite of Marilyn Monroe!




Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the model Dovima.




Here is an orange-red, sort of a coral or "China Red".




Suzy Parker with red lips, red gown, red wrap.  Redheads CAN wear red!




Electrifying red!




BRIGHT red lips.  I don't know what makeup manufacturer this is.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I only have two lipsticks; MAC's Russian Red and Vegas Volt, but I have been meaning to try Cherries in Snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many red lipsticks, even though I don't wear them as often as I hope to. But red is really pretty for the Fall.

    ReplyDelete